Trusted for 23+ Years
How To Reduce Menstrual Pain With A Vibrator
Dr. Lisa Lawless, CEO of Holistic Wisdom
Clinical Psychotherapist: Relationship & Sexual Health Expert
It's common to use body massagers to help relax tense muscles, but did you know that you can use them on your abdomen and back to reduce menstrual cramping?
During your menstrual period, the uterus contracts to help expel the lining. Prostaglandin hormones are chemical messengers that trigger the uterine muscle contractions to push it out. This can cause pain and inflammation, especially with higher levels of prostaglandins. The pain and inflammation that we may feel from this can also release the stress hormone cortisol, causing even more muscle strain, especially on the neck and back.
Don't Ignore Serious Pain
It is important to note that if the pain is severe, you should talk to you doctor, as you may have a more serious condition such as endometriosis, and there are a variety of treatments that can be helpful.
Why Are Vibrations Good For Period Cramping?
Vibration provides increased blood circulation and oxygen to the muscles, helping calm down the muscle contractions and reducing your stress responses. It forces a muscle to contract and then relaxes, which will reduce muscle aches as well as release pleasure hormones to the brain such as dopamine (creates a sense of happiness) and oxytocin (reduces pain perception and increases bonding feelings with others). Muscle stimulation from vibrators also helps to decrease levels of the stress hormone cortisol.
Where To Place A Vibrator
Using acupressure points is a great place to focus when it comes to reducing menstrual cramping. We provide a few articles that detail this, so make sure to also check those out:
In addition, placing your vibrator directly on your ovaries and moving in downward motions can feel amazing, as well as on your lower back and behind. Combine it with taking a warm bath and make sure you hydrate and get plenty of rest as it is important to nurture yourself. Also, don't forget to explore the best sexual health nutrition to give you you what you need to stay balanced, reduce pain and other challenging symptoms during your period.
What Kind Of Vibrator Is Best
Using a powerful body massager for cramping can be the most beneficial type of vibrator to use. You can also get attachments with them to use them sexually in addition for all over body massage.
Orgasms Also Help Reduce Cramping
Using a vibrator to help achieve orgasm can, in turn, help reduce challenging menstrual pain and discomfort. Here are some of the reasons why:
- Orgasms improve circulation to the organs and pelvic cavity. They also deliver nutrients that benefit your tissue, ligaments, and more.
- Having an orgasm helps to regulate the menstrual cycle. Studies show that those who orgasm at least once per week are more likely to have a healthier and more balanced menstrual cycle.
- Orgasmic muscle contractions provide an overall lymphatic massage, detoxifying the body and improving digestion.
- Orgasms help improve your mood by benefiting the hypothalamus gland responsible for regulating appetite, emotions, and body temperature.
- The sexual release of an orgasm provides deep relaxation, which boosts endorphin levels and flushes the stress hormone cortisol out of the body.
- Having orgasms has shown to reduce pain, lower the chance of headaches (including migraines), and even help ease childbirth pain.